Monday, July 26, 2010

I'm that Mom

Inspired by Ronnie, Jenna, Frank and several others, here's my impromptu blog carnival entry.

I'm that Mom who carries an amazing amount of kids' stuff in my shoulder bag or my pocket. PSP, cell phones, watches, half-eaten bags of chips or popcorn, coins, bottle caps, rocks and other special treasures.

I'm the Mom who carries all those things for my kids, because I know how easy it is for me -- at 47yo -- forget where I've put my stuff. Because I will never say to my child "sorry, you lost it, now it's gone and I won't replace it." Because it's no big deal for me to take from my child what he asks me to hold, and put it in my bag so it won't get wet, or stolen, or stepped on, or broken.

I'm also that Mom who does this so automatically I often forget what I have, or even that something was given to me, so I'm often heard to say, "I don't know where that is. But if you gave it to me, it's in here somewhere."

I'm also that Mom who always has a band-aid, no matter where we go. Other kids in our tribe know this and bypass their own Mom to come ask me for a band-aid.

8 comments:

Flo said...

Oh, yes! For me, the best part is finding something in my bag that we'd all forgotten about and seeing their faces when I pull it out.

Ronnie said...

Oh, yeah, the mom-stash of temporarily discarded treasures! Fun one!

p.s. bohemian said...

here's hoping your at the park or the beach when i cut myself up on those darn blackberry bushes again with your bandaids - loved your contribution to the carnival :}

Blessings,
deb

Sarah said...

Brilliant. I, too, am that mom. Just today I found stickers, a sucker, a princess doll, and a book in my purse that I didn't know/remember were there but certainly *were* there when asked for.

Loved this post!

Heather said...

Me too!!! In fact I went out and bought an awesome big bag with lots of pockets (so I can find my own things) for just that reason!

Sandra Dodd said...

Love the blog post, LOVE the photo of the Rio Grande, the bosque, the Sandias. Beautiful.

I had a friend with young children when my three were really little, and the two of us used to do "mom pockets." Sometimes when one of us was getting something out of her pocket (jeans, coat, whatever) and there was something else besides the key or whatever, one of us would call "mom pockets!" and pull out what we had: marbles, Lego bits, tiny Ninja Turtle weapons, Barbie dishes--things we had picked up cleaning, and hadn't re-delivered yet.

Sylvia said...

What a cool idea, Sandra! I often come across forgotten stuff, sometimes months later - usually when I changed bags or used a particular one for just one day.

I always carry lots of stuff around the in the trunk of my car, too, it seems.

~Katherine said...

I have busted many a bag, Sylvia, with what I used to just call being a packrat. How often though I clean out my purse and find things Karl wanted me to keep. And there it was! :D I love that.